Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on -- Industry Standard Article on Carnivore

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 10:41:27 -0400

To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>,
   "Jason L. Rosensweig" <jason.rosensweig () nist gov>
cc: mts () off to
From: "Michael T. Stolarchuk" <mts () off to>

Dave,

i want to introduce myself for a second, i'm michael stolarchuk,
and i've been involved with sniffing technologies for at least
five years.

i'm the last author of the core sniffing engine for NFR,
Network Flight Recorder, and before that, I was involved
in a project to perform packet sniffing for Honeyman's
packet vault at citi of the University of Michigan ...

i belive that qualifies me as a good source of information,
if not an expert...  because of my background i have
good knowledge of what sniffing technologies can do,
and what they can't do...

I have issue with in the article from mr.Rosensweig... specifically:

        Carnivore can pick up only the packets that use the Internet protocol
        address to which the FBI has been granted access by court order,
Kerr said.

Now, as all of us know, if you can sniff the packets, then all
the traffic is available for `Carnivore'.  I don't see any
guarantees that it will ONLY review mesages that its supposed to
collect.   I believe the `agency' be would be reluctant to
allow the interpositioning of some device which would guarantee the
safety of the data which Carnivore would see...  After all, such
a device may very well discard the very data which the `agency'
is trying to locate.

In addition, i would guess many of the machine which the agency
would want to monitor would likely NOT have a single fixed
IP address.. If that isn't the case, then they are sniffing
from some mail intermediary, which implies they have access
to *ALL* the mail which is available at that ISP, not just
the mail from some particular machine.

mts.