Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Ask Andy Grove to name a great leader. ``Franklin Roosevelt,'' he says, and offers sound reasons for his choice. [a great article must reading djf]

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 18:21:53 -0500

Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 15:12:47 -0800 (PST)
From: Dan Gillmor <dgillmor () sjmercury com>
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>

Dave, we're starting an occasional series in Sunday's paper, to explore
the essence of leadership in these changing times. I started with Andy
Grove --

http://www.mercurycenter.com/svtech/columns/gillmor/docs/dg012300a.htm

-----

Ask Andy Grove to name a great leader. ``Franklin Roosevelt,'' he says,
and offers sound reasons for his choice.

Equally compelling logic will inform tomorrow's historians when they're
asked to name the great business leaders of this era -- and Grove will
unquestionably be on that list.

This is a pivotal time. In this election year, we'll select the political
leaders who'll lead government toward a new century, amid massive change,
even turmoil, in almost every kind of institution we know.

Silicon Valley -- a metaphor as much as a place these days -- is at the
epicenter of these shifts. In a period of such transformation, it seemed
worthwhile to explore the nature of leadership, and to do so from a valley
perspective. What is leadership? How does it differ in various settings,
from political to business to moral? What is technology's impact on
leadership? Does leadership change with the era, or are its principles
fundamental, even immutable?

In coming months I'll be asking these and other questions of Silicon
Valley people who, by one measure or another, are leaders. I hope these
conversations will help us understand some of the decisions that shaped
their lives, and those of the people they've led.

etc...

Dan Gillmor, Tech Columnist
San Jose Mercury News
750 Ridder Park Drive