Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: US Government To Train Future CYBERTERRORISTS

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 14:59:27 -0500

CLINTON DECLARES WAR ON CYBERTERRORISTS
Asks for $2 billion to fight threats. Plans ROTC-like program.
http://www.zdnn.com/a/zdnn017100/2418619/
Clinton declares war on cyberterrorists

Asks for $2 billion to fight threat. Plans to set up an ROTC-like program to
fund college costs for computer students who agree to work for the
government.

By Steve Holland, Reuters
UPDATED January 7, 2000 8:35 AM PT

WASHINGTON -- President Clinton on Friday proposed a national plan to
protect America's computer systems from hackers and viruses, including
subsidizing college costs for computer students who agree to work for the
government.

"Today our critical systems, from power structures to air traffic control,
are connected and run by computers. We must make those systems more secure
so that America can be more secure," Clinton said in an appearance outside
the White House.