Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: DVD mystery

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 11:53:16 -0500

From: "David R. Guenette" <guenette () mediaone net>
To: "Dave Farber" <farber () cis upenn edu>
Cc: <rsolomon () dsl cis upenn edu>
Subject: DVD mystery
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 11:48:11 -0500

First, as to the technical merits of the various arguments regarding DVD
copying methods, including how DVD-RAM and DVD-R/W work, a good starting
place is the following URL, to what is still informally known as Robert's
DVD Page: http://www.unik.no/~robert/hifi/dvd/. From this page one can
find references and links to many relevant publications, including EMedia
Professional, of which I am former editor, and articles by contributing
editors Hugh Bennett, Dana Parker, and Bob Starrett, all of whom
understand the technical issues as deeply as anyone, unless they've given
up the field and turned to goat farming since my last contact. Replication
News, a Miller Freeman monthly, is a trade magazine for the duplication
and replication industry and can be useful; EE Times, published by CMP,
offers the best, but only occasional coverage of the fundamental
technology of DVD.

Nonetheless, I believe that the issue about DVD and piracy is a red
herring. Pirate labs have had a number of ways to duplicate DVD-Video, up
to and including taking an original disc apart and making a master for
stamping new ones from the pits and lands of the actual source disc; this
"copy" would contain identical information, down to the hidden keys, and
hence be perfectly playable. There are ways to do this digitally (find the
right hidden sectors, and replicate the entire bit-for-bit disc image) as well.

I have long held (as do most others in the field) that the security
implementations imposed by the DVD Forum have little to do with foiling
large-scale piracy and everything to do with discouraging individual
copying. What the movie studios are most concerned with is that Mr. and
Mrs. John Q. Public will make a copy of a rented film, and therefore not
rent it again, or, indeed, purchase it. The solution, the DVD Forum
concluded, was to make copying difficult enough so that very few Mr. and
Mrs. John Q. Publics will do it, and that doesn't involve making it
impossible, but simply enough of a pain in the neck.

The inclusion of Macrovision is one sign of this intent. DVD-Video itself,
in its limited access output of the CSS (content scrambling system)
circuitry, inhibits typical copying on PCs, since the signal is physically
restricted through the playback card, making it a hassle to connect, for
example, the DVD-Video signal within a PC to a hard drive.  And, of
course, if you don't record the key in your copy, you don't have a signal
that can be played on DVD-Video players. There are PC system workarounds,
but not many folk are likely to create custom cable taps, and then there
are the problems of needing to get into the sector and bit levels of the
disc structure, and not too many of us really enjoy hexadecimal editing.
Even as most recently seen by DeCSS, there are other ways to do it, but
the techniques are hardly ones the typical PC user will try, never mind
succeed using.

But what about DVD-to-VHS copying? In my opinion, this is much more of a
home market threat, and the reason why Macrovision--a technology developed
to make VHS copying difficult (by adding types of signal noise and quality
reduction to the copy, if I understand the technology correctly). The
reason is that the studios don't want people to copy movies, whether it is
DVD-to-DVD (which is only now becoming possible, with the marketing of
DVD-RAM, and DVD-R drives, but still very expensive), or, more to the
point, DVD-to-VHS. Disney's outstanding reluctance (it was the last major
studio to sign up for DVD) is telling: after all, how many parents have
rented "The Little Mermaid" a half-dozen times, before buying a copy? I'd
guess we're talking about hundreds of thousands, at least, multiplied by
the X number of Disney films, and that is big money.

The most interesting question is, perhaps, does Disney really have a
right, morally speaking, to this big money? After all, if the studio is
making a profit on theatrical releases, covering costs, paying its talent,
marketing, etc., and then making money on rentals, and film sales, as well
as covering bombs, just how much more should the public shell out for
repeated viewing? At what point does the citizen earn (buy) the right to
make or own a copy of the art itself, especially when the art form is
inherently duplicable, and, indeed, is a distributable medium?

And when it comes to home copying? Price the darn titles low enough and
the studios would further expand their market, add profit, and reduce
illegal copying to inconsequential levels. After all, how many people want
to set up a dual disc drive/recorder configuration, buy the blank media,
and spend the time recording the stuff, when they can simply buy the
films, music, etc. they want to have, for a reasonable price.  There are,
of course, some really interesting digital rights management technologies
coming to market, and these represent another type of solution.  Please
note that I'm not against protecting intellectual property; I'm against
this protection being intrusive, clumsy, and too much in the interest of
intellectual property holders at the undue expense of citizens.  (Ask me
what I think about CEO and sports franchise salary/profit trends.)

I think that the larger issue is the copyright issue, and the balance
between the public good (arguably, not having to pay $100 for repeated
rentals and purchase) and the property rights of the creators. The legal
pendulum has clearly swung in favor of the property holder, and the
corporate holder at that (200 years of copyright protection? Only
corporations have that kind of lifetime). I think that it is a very good
thing that the technology is well-positioned to return the situation to a
more reasonable balance in a de facto manner. By the way, when it comes to
large-scale pirating, there are existing legal enforcement mechanisms, and
while these are no doubt somewhat inefficient, watchdog organizations such
as SIIA, BSA, and the individual publishing companies themselves do have
protection. Basically, the studios don't want to have to make the effort
to protect their businesses from such threats, and are happy enough to
inconvenient consumers with such things as regional coding and copy
protection, in effect making everyone else do their work.

The biggest problem may well be the greed of the studios (in the case of
music and film) and the consumer electronics companies behind the players.
Like CD, DVD represents both a great improvement of the reproduction and
playback art, plus a realizable reduction in cost of goods and
manufacture, both in terms of replicated discs and the players themselves.
Yet CD-Audio titles remain, typically, in the mid-teens in price, and
DVD-Video discs are as expensive or more expensive than VHS tapes, while
DVD-Video players are much more expensive than VHS players. The strange
thing about this is that DVD devices are cheaper and easier to manufacture
than VHS players and tapes, since they are more digital (ICs, benefiting
from the economics of silicon), and have no complicated transport
mechanisms, and leverage the research and development and manufacture
infrastructure of CD-Audio, a twenty-year-old, highly successful product.
The discs themselves hold many of the same advantages--well-established
manufacturing processes and facilities, inherently cheaper replication
process (no linear duplication requirements that VHS demand), and even
packaging, shipping, and handling is cheaper. But, wait, there's more!
Whenever a new medium comes to market, content holders get to re-sell
existing product in the new medium, usually at high margins, as music
studios have done with LPs, CDs, and now threatening to do with DVD-Audio,
while movie studios have moved from VHS to DVD.

Unfortunately, the culture of the studios and electronics companies is to
want their money now, as much as possible, to overcome investment and risk
of development, manufacture, and marketing, and, in all likelihood, make
the next quarter and the stock price look as good as possible. The irony
is that their products are quite compelling and that they could be making
more money by selling much more product (further reducing costs per
product) at lower prices. DVD-Video could have been many-times more
successful in terms of installed base, market penetration, and resale of
already amortized content in the new media, if only these companies had
believed in their own marketing message. In short, they are greedy, fairly
stupid businessmen, who intentionally delayed the start of the DVD market
by at least one year, or two, if you also count the delay caused by the
jockeying for advantage in the format battle between the Philips/Sony axis
and the Toshiba/Time Warner axis. One or two years of missed market seems
like real money lost, but then, what do I know? I don't have an MBA.

Ever read Frank Norris' The Octopus"? What the railroad was in the
mid-to-late 19 century, media (including telecommunications and
cable/satellite, etc.) is to late 20th-early 21rst century. I can only
hope that the relative lack of entry barrier, will help even the match
this time around. After all, it is much easier for electronic publishers
to do their thing than for would-be railroaders to build competing railroads!

David R. Guenette, Editorial Director
New Millennium Publishing (http://www.nmpub.com)
18 1/2 Tremont Street, Cambridge, MA 02139
617/868-6093 (voice/fax); guenette () mediaone net