Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Son of DIVX: DVD Copy Control

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 02:24:43 -0500

From: capek () us ibm com
To: Dave () farber net
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 22:08:08 -0500

Here's a nice, readable, and funny summary of the motivations behind the
DeCSS lawsuits and such...

http://www.fool.com/portfolios/rulemaker/2000/rulemaker000127.htm?ref=fwec

Son of DIVX: DVD Copy Control

  By Rob Landley

  GAITHERSBURG, MD (January 27, 2000) -- Every once in a while, a Fool just
 has to sit back and go, "Wow, that's really dumb." I shouldn't be
  surprised when dumb things come out of Hollywood. Robert Heinlein once
wrote a morality tale about how an overly militaristic society can be a bad
  thing, and based on that, Hollywood came out with the campy action movie
Starship Troopers (i.e., "Bevery Hills 90210 goes to war").

  But then the DVD Copy Control Authority (a name straight out of a James
Bond movie if you ask me) attempted to sue the ENTIRE INTERNET. It's like a
  class action lawsuit in reverse. Even for Hollywood, this has to set some
 kind of record for sheer bulk corporate idiocy. The mind boggles.