Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Review of a book IP'ers might find of interest

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 20:19:05 -0500

Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 19:01:54 -0500
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Gene Spafford <spaf () cerias purdue edu>

"Database Nation: The Death of Privacy in the 21st Century"
by Simson Garfinkel
O'Reilly & Associates, 2000
ISBN 1-56592-653-6
<http://www.databasenation.com>

First, of all, I should disclose what is probably a conflict of
interest.   Simson and I have been friends for years, and we have
collaborated on a number of projects, including 3 books.  As such, some
people (who don't know me well) might suspect that I wouldn't provide an
objective review.  So, if you think that might be the case, then discount
my recommendation by half -- and still buy and read this book.   Simson
has done an outstanding job documenting and describing a set of issues
that a great many people -- myself included -- believe will influence
computing, e-commerce, law and public policy in the next decade.  They
also impact every person in modern society.

This book describes -- well, and with numerous citations -- how our
privacy as individuals and members of groups has been eroding.
Unfortunately, that erosion is accelerating, and those of us involved with
information technology are a significant factor in that trend. Credit
bureaus accumulate information on our spending, governments record the
minutiae of their citizens' lives, health insurance organizations record
everything about us that might prove useful to deny our claims, and
merchants suck up every bit of information they can find so as to target
us for more marketing.   In each case, there is a seemingly valid reason,
but the accumulated weight of all this record-keeping -- especially when
coupled with the sale and interchange of the data -- is
frightening.  Simson provides numerous examples and case studies showing
how our privacy is incrementally disappearing as more data is captured in
databases large and small.

The book includes chapters on  a wide range of privacy-related issues,
including medical information privacy, purchasing patterns and affinity
programs, on-line monitoring, credit bureaus, genetic testing, government
record-keeping and regulation, terrorism and law enforcement monitoring,
biometrics and identification, ownership of personal information, and
AI-based information modeling and collection.   The 270 pages of text
present a sweeping view of the various assaults on our privacy in
day-to-day life.   Each instance is documented as a case where someone has
a reasonable cause to collect and use the information, whether for law
enforcement, medical research, or government cost-saving.   Unfortunately,
the reality is that most of those scenarios are then extended to where the
information is misused, misapplied, or combined with other information to
create unexpected and unwanted intrusions.

Despite my overall enthusiasm, I was a little disappointed in a few minor
respects with the book.  Although Simson concludes the book with an
interesting agenda of issues that should be pursued in the interests of
privacy protection, he misses a number of opportunities to provide the
reader with information on how to better his or her own control over
personal information.   For instance, he describes the opt-out program for
direct marketing, but doesn't provide the details of how the reader can do
this; Simson recounts that people are able to get their credit records or
medical records from MIB, but then doesn't provide any information on how
to get them or who to contact; and although he sets forth a legislative
agenda for government, he fails to note realistic steps that the reader
can take to help move that agenda forward.   I suspect that many people
will finish reading this book with a strong sense of wanting to *do*
something, but they will not have any guidance as to where to go or who to
talk with.

The book has over 20 pages of comprehensive endnotes and WWW references
for the reader interested in further details.  These URLs do include
pointers to many important sources of information on privacy and law, but
with a few puzzling omissions: I didn't see references to resources such
as EPIC or Lauren Weinstein's Privacy digest outside of the fine print in
the endnotes.  I also didn't note references to ACM's Computers, Freedom
and Privacy conferences, the USACM, or a number of other useful venues and
supporters of privacy and advocacy.  Robert Ellis Smith's "Privacy
Journal" is mentioned in the text, but there is no information given as to
how to subscribe to it.  And so on.

I also noted that the book doesn't really discuss much of the
international privacy scene, including issues of law and culture that
complicate our domestic solutions.   However, the book is intended for a
U.S.  audience, so this is somewhat understandable.       A few other
topics -- such as workplace monitoring -- are similarly given more
abbreviated coverage than every reader might wish.  Overall, I recognized
few of those.

On the plus side, the book is very readable, with great examples and
anecdotes, and a clear sense of urgency.  Although it is obvious that
Simson is not an impartial party on these topics, he does present many of
the conflicting viewpoints to illustrate the complexity of the
issues.  For instance, he presents data on the need for wiretaps and
criminal investigation, along with accounts and descriptions of
bioterrorism, including interviews with FBI officials, to illustrate why
there are people of good faith who want to be able to monitor telephone
conversations and email.  If anything, this increases the impact of the
book -- it is not an account of bad people with evil intent, but a
description of what happens when ideas reasonable to a small group have
consequences beyond their imagining -- or immediate concern.  The death of
privacy is one of a thousand cuts, each one small and seemingly made for a
good reason.

Simson has committed to adding important information to the WWW site for
the book.   Many (or most) of the items I have noted above will likely be
addressed at the WWW site before long.   Simson also has informed me that
the publisher will be making corrections and some additions to future
editions of the book if he deems them important. This is great news for
those of us who will use the book as an classroom text, or if we recommend
the book to policy makers on an on-going basis.   Those of us with older
copies will need to keep the URL on our bookmark list.

Overall, I was very pleased with the book.  I read it all in one sitting,
on a flight cross-country, and found it an easy read.   I have long been
interested in (and involved in)  activities in protection of privacy, so I
have seen and read most of the sources Simson references.  Still, I
learned a number of things from reading the book that I didn't already
know -- Simson has done a fine job of presenting historical and ancillary
context to his narrative without appearing overly pedantic.

This is a book I intend to recommend to all of my graduate students and
colleagues.  I only wish there was some way to get all of our elected
officials to read it, too.   I believe that everyone who values some sense
of private life should be aware of these issues, and this book is a great
way to learn about them.   I suggest you go out and buy a copy -- but pay
in cash instead of with  a credit card, take mass transit to the store
instead of your personal auto, and don't look directly into the video
cameras behind the checkout counter.  Once you read the book, you'll be
glad you did.