Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Current attacks

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 17:39:21 -0500

Date: 12 Feb 00 11:22:51 -0800
From: "Donn Parker" <dparker () sric sri com>
To: Bernie Galler <galler () umich edu>

Based on what I have read, nobody has seen the big picture and future of what
is occurring in the current denial of service attacks. We are entering
the era of
automated crime. (See my book, Fighting Computer Crime, Wiley 1998 and
article
on Automated Crime in Information Security Magazine, September 1999.) For
several years I have been warning about complete crimes from creation of
virtual
perpetrators, selection of victims, execution,  irreversible conversion
to gain, and
erasure of evidence all packaged in a single computer program. The
program may
be designed and developed by technologists and distributed and used by
anybody.
For the first time in human history it is now possible to possess crimes, not
just do them one up, just like it is now possible to possess business and
manufactering processes. This means that crimes can be endlessly
distributed and improved
to achieve the perfect crime. The perpetrator may not know where he got the
crime, what the crime does, how it does it, or who or where the victim
is. He may
only know that he has benefited in some way. The victim does not know who or
where the perpetrator is, what crime was committed, when it was
committed, or how it
was done. He only knows that he lost something of value. The investigator has
no means of relating the known victim to any possible perpetrator and has no
evidence except that a loss occured. And it is not a crime to design,
develop, or
distribute an automated crime. Only executing it against a specific victim
(victimless crimes excluded) would be a crime, but the perpetrator may
not be aware
that he is a perpetrator.This defines a perfect crime.