Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: CPRM FAQ

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 19:12:35 -0500

To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
cc: Jeff.Hodges () kingsmountain com
From: Jeff.Hodges () kingsmountain com

Everything you ever wanted to know about CPRM, but ZDNet wouldn't tell you...

                                 :
                                 :
10. IBM and Intel say that The Register's story mistakenly assumes that
CPRM is intended for fixed hard disks, whereas it's only intended for
removable media. Is this true?

Not if you examine the ATA extensions under consideration closely.

FACT: The CPRM ATA call interface requires information that standard ATA hard
disks need, but that packet based removable ATAPI drives such as Zip and Jaz
drives,don't: such as sector start and offset information. If the CPRM
proposal
under consideration by T.13 was for packet-based ATAPI drives, it wouldn't
need
this information.

FACT: We know of only one removable ATA drive: Castlewood's Orb. All others
use ATAPI, or media-specific extensions on top of ATA (as with IBM's
Microdrives) - that don't require extensions to the ATA command set.

From our conversations with the people behind the proposal, and public
documents released by the T.13 committee, we'll agree that their focus to date
has been on removable drives, and it's apparent that not all of the
consequences
of CPRM in fixed-drives have been discussed.

But unforeseen or not - and despite public protestations of their good
intentions - the 4C Entity is delivering a solution tailor-made for fixed
disk ATA drives, and building right into the specification for industry
standard fixed drives. This is indisputable.
                                 :
                                 :

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/