Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: the Net in Cuba

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 08:58:37 -0500

To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Esther Dyson <edyson () edventure com>
Subject: the Net in Cuba
Date: 27 Dec 2000 08:31:15 -0500

Actually, it's from the Washington Post, but here's where I got it (fair-use
amount only):

http://www.iht.com/articles/5473.html

Laptop Brigade: Cuba's New Rebels
Scott Wilson Washington Post Service  Wednesday, December 27, 2000
Under Castro, Going Online Without Permission Is Out of Line

HAVANA A new rebel has emerged in Cuba: the Internet guerrilla.
.
His laptop case has replaced the beret as the signature of revolution among
thousands of mostly young male professionals, who through subversive cunning
have become nearly as wired as anyone in the world despite Cuban law
prohibiting unauthorized private Internet use.
.
Known among themselves as informaticos, they represent resistance to a
government that has sought to stifle the flow of information since the
revolution four decades ago.
.
Encouraged by tentative government steps to wire the country, the growing
number of Cubans who ignore official prohibitions to look at foreign news
pages, listen to pirate music sites and browse computer training courses
online are hastening Cuba's plodding journey into the information age.
.
"I'm a member of the generation born just after the revolution," said an
engineer, 31, who like other illegal Internet users agreed to speak only on
condition of anonymity. "We all saw the giant Soviet mainframe computers
linked together that did so little. The PC and Internet are new, independent
ways of thinking. "To us, Bill Gates and Linus Torvalds are gurus," he
added, referring to the Microsoft chief and the creator of the Linux
operating system. After watching the flow of information help to fuel the
Soviet Union's disintegration, Cuba's Communist government has clamped down
on Internet technology.......

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/