Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: How not to write an installer

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 05:05:58 -0400

Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 22:49:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Ole J. Jacobsen" <ole () cisco com>
To: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>

How NOT to write an installer
-----------------------------

In early July, Microsoft posted a patch to Office 98 for the Macintosh.
According to the company: "This Microsoft Office 98 Updater addresses two
issues: file corruption saving Word documents containing complex
formatting, especially tables; and file compatibility between PowerPoint 98
and future versions of PowerPoint for both Windows and Macintosh."

While I am not a heavy user of either Word or PowePoint, I still decided
to dowload and run the patch. This is one of those installers that first
checks your confirguration, and then proceeds to install two files and
update two files. I am sure you have seen the dual progress bar so you
know what I am talking about.

About 3/4 of the way through, the installer quit without any kind of warning
or error message, it just plain went away!  None of the usual "...has
unexpectedly quit because a type N error occured", nothing.

I tried running the installer again on a system starting with no
extensions. Same result. I was about to give up when I got this idea:
Maybe the installer is really looking for "Microsoft Word" and "Microsoft
PowerPoint" instead of my re-named "Word" and "PowerPoint."

Sure enough, after I renamed the applications the installer ran just
fine.

There are lots of lessons about quality control and software design in
this little saga. And of course it's a lesson to us dumb users who are
so stupid that we would even consider renaming an application.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher
The Internet Protocol Journal