Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Mitnick Muzzled (Hacker Hamstrung?)

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 17:42:37 -0400

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 14:31:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Kevin L. Poulsen" <klp () securityfocus com>

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/23

Kevin Mitnick has been yanked off the lecture circuit and ordered by the
U.S. Probation Office to halt his professional writing efforts, a move
that left a recent Salt Lake City computer conference without its star
speaker, and magazine publisher Steven Brill short one media critic for
his upcoming web offering.

"In regards to the numerous requests you have received concerning writing
and critiquing articles and speaking at conferences, we find it necessary
to deny your participation and recommend that you pursue employment in a
non-related field," reads an April 12th letter to Mitnick from the
Ventura, California U.S. Probation Office that supervises him.

"Right now, I've retained council to go ahead and try to get this
clarified," Mitnick said Monday. "I'm surprised, because all I was trying
to do through my writing and speaking was to tell people how information
security is important."