Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Privacy advocate demands government create central e-mail registry

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 17:41:26 -0400

Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 11:23:27 -0400
To: politech () vorlon mit edu
From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 21:03:27 -0700
From: Lizard <lizard () mrlizard com>
Subject: Privacy advocate demands government maintain central e-mail registry!

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/04/21/company_spam/index.html

Once again, we see well-meaning(presumably) fuzzy-headed (definitely)
liberals dropping their trousers and yelling "Take me hard, Uncle Sam!".
Sigh. When will they ever learn? The answer, my friend, is...uhm..never mind.

We do not need 'strong legislation', ESPECIALLY not 'strong legislation'
that involves the FCC maintaining lists of email addresses for ANY
purpose. What we need is strong *technology* -- better filters,
spamblocks, and the like. The government is not going to stand with the
average citizen against the evil corporations -- the government is
permenantly locked in alliance with the evil corporations, at least those
(like Netscape) that provide 'campaign contributions', wink-wink, know
what I mean, say no more, say no more.

Any 'strong legislation' intended to 'stop spam' will be written, and then
applied, in such a manner as to make it quite feasible for large
corporations to keep spamming, while shutting down the legitimate use of
email by small businesses or individual ranters or any sort. After all,
mail in reply to a usenet article, a web page, or a post on a mailing list
is often 'unsolicited'. Further, people with a cause, howeever nutty, will
gather addresses from newsgroups or mailing lists. While these uses are
annoying, they are not, and should not be, considered criminal -- but any
'anti spam' laws WILL ban free speech and will NOT ban commercial speech
from 'good corporate citizens' (aka 'corporations that give money to
congresscritters').

The fact Garfinkel could write "To be honest, I never really considered that
it might use my e-mail to send me an advertisement without first asking my
permission. " with an apparently straight face undermines his ability to
be considered a legitimate commentator on this issue. Of course, his
entire ouvre (Database Nation, et al) seems to be composed of feigned
shock and righteous indignation over actions (your supermarket sells your
purchase data to marketing companies! Gasp!) that no one with an ounce of
sane cynicism is either surprised at or bothered by. Like anyone cares
about any purchases I might make. Hey, marketers! I might be buying some
condoms soon, so tell your computers to take me off the porn lists and put
me on the chocolate&flowers lists. Don't tell my Mom. (Actually, DO tell
my Mom, she'd begun to despair I'd ever find another girlfriend. The fact
I'm 35, single, and living in San Francisco was starting to worry her, if
you get my drift.)

When Amazon.com tracks my buying habits, it's so that they can offer to
sell me books -- an off I am free to refuse. What scares ME is when Uncle
Sam demands Amazons lists for its own purposes -- but I suspect Mr.
Garfinkel approves of such uses. After all, if the *government* is doing
the information gathering, it must be 'for the public good' and not in the
service of 'private greed'.