Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: More on FCC's Farber tells ISPs not to do discount tracking plan

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 19:14:45 -0400

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 13:45:53 -0400
To: declan () well com, politech () vorlon mit edu
From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Re: FC: FCC's Farber warns of regulation if ISPs do
discount tracking plan
Cc: info () predictivenetworks com, lauren () vortex com, farber () cis upenn edu

Declan, for the record, if you read the statement I made carefully
or even casually I never said the FCC will regulate  anything in
this space (unless the congress demands it). What I did say is
continued steps down such paths will end up with Governments
imposing regulation and with the citizens demanding it. The stream
that goes from the subscriber of an ISP has a lot more in it than
web traffic. There may indeed be voice (IP Telephony) email etc.
What assurance do we have that opt in works in this or any case. If
a single ISP controls my access to the net via my cable , for
example, the comment of "just say no and find another isp" may be
very very difficult.

For the record, I am not accusing Predictivenetworks of any
miss-behavior. I do caution that as the industry starts down this
slippery path they understand that there are limits and that
reaching those limits may not be at all heathy for our industry.

Dave (as a private citizen which by the way is what I speak as in
all my IP mailings)

*********

My response:

Dave correctly points out that he warned not of FCC but "government
regulation." (http://www.politechbot.com/p-01099.html)

My intent was to say that the FCC would be the agency responsible
for carrying out such regulation if the Feds decided to do it.
Whether the FCC has the statutory authority to enact such rules
without action by Congress is a question for another day. :)

-Declan

*********