Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Anti-spam measures by AOL over the top?

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 20:13:26 -0400

Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 16:58:28 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker () brandenburg com>

At 07:24 PM 4/20/00 -0400, David Farber wrote:
 a message that "bulk mail is against AOL Terms of Service, this account is
 being deactivated" and not just the WINE EXPO screen name but Roberto's

It turns out that opt-in volume mail is something that recipients
WANT to get, quite in contrast with unsolicited volume mail (ie,
spam).

The problem is how a lowly ISP can distinguish between them?  It is
a Good Thing that they try to filter spam.  But very, very bad if
opt-in mail is not delivered.

As companies are starting to generate more newsletters, order
confirmations, marketing brochures, etc. for their subscribed
customers and prospects, we must find a way to distinguish between
these two, very different kinds of traffic.

Currently there is no way to do that, either in terms of content for
an individual message or in terms of traffic patterns.  They look
the same.

We, the email industry, are going to have to solve this problem.  And quickly.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker () brandenburg com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA