Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: worth reading on FIRMS GO OUTSIDE BOX, TO CONGRESS TO SOLVE HIGH-TECH WORKERSHORTAGE from Educause

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 08:11:33 -0400

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 20:53:30 -0700
From: Norman MacLeod <gaelwolf () waypt com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu

840,000 tech jobs going unfilled, not enough H-1B visas to help
corporate American fill the billets.  What's wrong with this picture?

A lot.

We could fill those jobs with young Americans, except that the student
IT resources in the vast majority of our schools are not adequate to the
requirements to provide the necessary grounding for the students to
graduate from high school prepared to participate effectively in an
education-to-profession track that qualifies them for the jobs.

Internet connectivity for every classroom in America?  Maybe so, but one
Apple IIC connected to the Internet for a room full of thirty or more
kids doesn't really help a whole lot...and that's where Internet
connectivity ends in a lot of our schools.

I'm on our local school district's Technology Team, a committee of
educators and parents responsible for guiding adoption and use of
technology in all the K-12 schools in the community.  We have a levy
coming up in February, and we met with the School Board on Monday
evening.  While generally supportive of the needs we described, some of
them are going to need a LOT of help in translating those needs into the
words to persuade our taxpayers to vote for the levy.

We've been asked to help educate the public and advocate for the needs
we see.  Since I did a lot of the "articulate speaker" stuff at the
Board meeting, and then again at our monthly meeting on Wednesday, I'm
being asked to be a key part of the education and outreach effort.  We
have to come up with a good way to publicize the District's needs, and
discussing the H-1B visa issue will be part of the effort.

We've also decided that we need to have an effective outreach to the
community as well.  We have computer resources that are not being used
outside of school hours, so are hoping to find ways to make them
available to the community for IT training and general computer use
courses, but will need volunteers to help bring this to reality.

Part of the outreach is to find ways to make computer and Internet
resources available to students outside of school hours, with priority
for students who do not have those resources at home.  We want to try to
at least narrow the digital divide here in our community through
initiatives like this.  ...And we want to make sure the community knows
about what our outreach is and why we are doing it.

We want to have at lease half a page, once a week, in the local
newspapers, as well as time on the local radio station and the community
access TV station.  These resources will be used for articles by local
computer users from all demographic sections of the community.  We also
want to have articles from IT leaders across the country and throughout
the world, to bring the reality of the size and needs of the IT job
market.

You see, we are located in a tourist destination oasis in the middle of
a Pacific Northwest where the traditional industries, such as forestry
and fishing, are sliding down the tubes for many reasons.  We are not
close enough to Seattle to commute...and many of the people who live
here are here, at least in part, because it takes nearly an hour to get
the the nearest mall.  But our young people need opportunity, and that's
not going to come from tourism or the region's traditional industries.

So, we have to convince people from an incredible range of backgrounds
that passing the levy will be a Good Thing, and not just for our youth.
We know that using the "for the children" approach will turn off a very
large portion of the voting public.  However, we can use a "provide our
resources with the proper resources, and we can give those IT jobs to
well trained Americans" approach to appeal to them.  There's going to
have to be a lot of wordcrafting to appeal to both wings of the
political bird...

We've been able to get some software from Microsoft, and we've had some
good deals on some hardware.  We would love to see more evidence of the
part where you say, "Companies have addressed this problem by offering
high-tech training to their own employees, students, and others already
in the U.S."  We've got a lot of people available for these
opportunities, but there aren't a heck of a lot of companies providing
them in our area.

I firmly believe that we can build the opportunities for our youth to
qualify for those jobs that are begging to be filled, but it's going to
take a whole lot more than the current level of lip service to make it
happen.  I'm doing what I can, but I know it's far from enough.  IP has
a lot of really great people reading and participating...do any of you
have some really practical ideas that could help our schools help our
students make it to that IT education-to-profession path they need?

    Norman MacLeod

--

                   GAELIC WOLF CONSULTING

                         Healthcare Informatics