Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Exploring leadership -- Kennard installment

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 10:35:56 -0400

From: "Gillmor, Dan" <DGillmor () sjmercury com>
To: "'farber () cis upenn edu'" <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Exploring leadership -- Kennard installment
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 07:14:37 -0700

http://www.mercurycenter.com/svtech/columns/gillmor/docs/kennard.htm

WASHINGTON

WILLIAM E. KENNARD pulls out a well-thumbed copy of the Communications Act
of 1934, the law that established the Federal Communications Commission and
remains its fundamental charter. He reads aloud from the first paragraph of
Section I:

``. . . to make available so far as possible to all people of the United
States without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion,
national origin, or sex, a rapid, efficient, nationwide and worldwide wire
and radio-communications service with adequate facilities at reasonable
charges.''

The FCC's first African-American chairman looks up.

``Now,'' he says, ``when people tell me that I'm some sort of a social
engineer or social activist when I'm trying to bring radio service to
inner-city communities and phone service to Indian reservations and
computers to disabled people -- I point them right back here.''