Interesting People mailing list archives

Fwd: Re: IP: the Farber DC dsl line

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 09:11:06 -0400

Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 08:45:24 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Tom Goltz <tgoltz () computer org>
Subject: Re: IP: the Farber DC dsl line

At 07:33 PM 4/3/00, you wrote:
Is up and fast as hell (1+ meg). Supplied by isp -- Fastnet,
installed and serviced  by Covad  and supported by Bell Atlantic.

Faster than a speeding ...

Congrats on the new line.  You should be glad you're living in an
area with a low-tech phone system.  I have the misfortune to live in
a city with an upgraded phone system that has quite a bit of fiber
between me and the central office.

My CLEC informs me that Bell Atlantic refuses them permission to
co-locate equipment anywhere but the main Nashua central office,
which definitely does not include the remote huts where the copper
cable terminates.  As a result of this, the best I can do right now
is a 144k "IDSL" line.  Actually, it's a dedicated ISDN line with
the 16k control channel used for data as well.

Nobody seems to be able to tell me when this situation is going to
change, but the best guesses seem to be that it could be years
before I see high-speed DSL service.  Under the current regulatory
structure, Bell Atlantic isn't required change the situation until
they decide to start offering DSL here, and they won't even talk
about when that might be.

Frustrating.

Tom Goltz
Software Engineering Services