Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on European Law Seen As Grave Threat To E-Commerce

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 08:26:08 -0400

Date: 11 Sep 1999 02:11:50 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: bertrand () bidaud com
Law Seen As Grave Threat To E-Commerce

Dave,
You are abolutely right. Imagine a Ecommerce company trying to sell
in US. Yet, his company is based far away, say Malaysia. Would not
the US consumer be more comfortable if it were accountable in US? Of
course it would. And therefore the propects for he company would be
better.

Of course, how to make a company operating "virtually" actually
accountable is not clear. But to say that this direction is a threat
to E Commerce is not correct. It is simply a prejudice for a company
based in US whose main market is the US and other markets are
marginals. It probably repreents an opportunityfor the others, as
long as their business respect proper behaviour, and the law of the
countries are sound.
I agree with you, the issues are more complex than presented in the
article. And if the path is not clear, the "direction" proposed by
EU is worth considering I believe.

Bertrand Bidaud