Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: **** Alternate Futures for 2025:Security Planning to Avoid Surprise

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 20:48:13 -0400

I found this paper by the USAF to be very very interesting. It
presents a set of scenarios some rather unpleasant and some sounding
harsh. It is the job of the military to develop such studies so we
don't get surprised and so intelligent decisions (hopefully) can be
made about the future.

Scenario writers are changed with thinking of unpleasant
possibilities .  Some folks object as they did with Herman Kahn's
Thinking the Unthinkable. Herman used to say that it was not morally
correct to not discuss thermonuclear war in the hope it would not
happen. I think Herman's scenarios helped to prevent the war to end
wars.

Read these with an open mind and you might just help in the future of
the country and world.

Dave

http://www.fas.org/spp/military/docops/usaf/2025/af/a-f.htm