Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on U.S. Army enlists more Macs

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 21:39:37 -0400

Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 20:07:19 -0500
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Gene Spafford <spaf () cs purdue edu>
Subject: Re: IP: U.S. Army enlists more Macs

Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 14:40:23 -0800
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Stewart Brand <sb () gbn org>

http://macweek.zdnet.com/1999/09/19/army.html

I'm glad to see this.   Back in 1996 & 1997,  I did some analyses of
web servers.   This was included in the form of a recommendation in
the book, "Web Security & Commerce," written with Simson Garfinkel.
On 269 you can see where we recommended that if security is a
concern, the Mac is our preferred platform.   There is no command
interpreter to run if you break through the WWW server.   By
default, there are only a few net-based services, and most of them
start off disabled or are easy to disable.  And MacOS runs fine off
a CD-ROM, so it is possible to build a set of pages and
configuration, burn them into a CD, and run with an immutable file
system.

I haven't seen OS X yet, but I hope it doesn't contain lots of extra
"bells and whistles" that make it less securable.    Feature creep
introduces security problems, whether in MacOS, Windows NT, Linux,
or any other system.   Thankfully, MacOS is not yet at 60 million
lines so there is still hope for it!

--spaf