Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on request for comments on US-Funded Academic Research

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 11:33:35 -0400

Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 20:50:35 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu, ip-sub-1 () admin listbox com
From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Subject: Re: IP: request for comments on US-Funded Academic Research
   and  Patents (e.g., RSA)

Your [Vin McLellan  ed.] long piece mixes claims of facts and
opinions.  I don't fully
understand your opinions, but you got at least one fact wrong:

Ron Rivest was a professor, not a graduate student, when RSA was invented.
Shamir and Adleman were post-docs being paid by MIT research grants.

If they had been graduate students pursuing their studies, and paying
tuition to MIT, a set of rules designed to protect students from
exploitation would have applied.  But none of them were.  They were
non-student employees of MIT.

As MIT employees, they come under specific rules, because MIT is a party to
all research contracts that involve its staff and facilities.  The three
did not have a choice to keep the work to themselves without seeking one of
the exceptions to MIT's claim of ownership in intellectual property created
under sponsored research contracts - at least that was how MIT handled my
work when I was a professor.  Staff members are required in many
circumstances to file for patents on inventions.

Also, Rivest received both ARPA money and NSF money at various times.
These contract sources typically have had different rules about patent
ownership.

Before spreading guesses, I would clarify your claims.

Regarding the American People's rights - the default state of affairs is
essentially what you said - the Government (not individual people or
corporations) gets a right to use the patents and information royalty free.

The people get no such rights, and the government typically cannot transfer
its royalty free rights to individuals or corporations.  This is not
surprising.  The government holds a lot of private information (your tax
returns, and so forth) but they are not owned and usable by any random
American citizen.

The idea that RSA stole from Americans is utterly wrong.

- David
WWW Page: http://www.reed.com/dpr.html