Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Microsoft and so called independent analysts

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 09:01:12 +0200

[ and a comment from a senior reporter who said "off the record" off
the record" --  "corporate silent funding of analysts is SOP...it's
why I distrust them all." djf ]

Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 12:38:46 -0700
From: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger () ibd com>

I've noticed that the Gartner Group has gotten violently anti-Linux
while at the same time increasing its praise of Microsoft. I was
wondering if Gartner had gotten a recent cash infusion from
Microsoft when I stumbled across an article showing how Gartner and
Microsoft are using each others sites to justify their "independent"
assessment of the "superiority" of Microsoft software over Open
Source. (http://www.egroups.com/group/svlug/21219.html) This article
is a reflextion on Microsoft's publishing a site on "Linux Myths"

I also wonder about the literally 1000's of PR people that are
assigned to specific reporters to make sure they get "the right
information" on any articles that deal with issues of interest of
Microsoft.

I know its a naieve questions, but are there any ethics in the press
and analyst industry left? It seems that Microsoft has broken
through the "Chinese Wall" of editorial/advertising and they have a
clear history of trying to manipulate public perception via the
press and analysts.

There really should be a requirement that any press or analyst
should have to disclose help or payment from a vendor in the
preparation of an article or financial support for their
organization.

--
Robert J. Berger - Internet Bandwidth Development
14510 Big Basin Way #253  Saratoga, CA 95070