Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: FCC NOI Section 255 Requirements for IP Telephony

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 13:07:28 -0400

Press Release with Links to Report and Order
http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Common_Carrier/News_Releases/1999/nrcc9075.html

In the Matter of
Implementation of Sections 255 and 251(a)(2) of the
Communications Act of 1934, as Enacted by the Telecommunications
Act of 1996

Access to Telecommunications Service, Telecommunications Equipment and
Customer Premises Equipment by Persons with Disabilities

WT Docket No. 96-198

REPORT AND ORDER AND FURTHER NOTICE OF INQUIRY

      Adopted:  July 14, 1999; Released:  September 29, 1999

a.  Internet Telephony

      177. Internet Protocol telephony ("Internet" or "IP"
telephony) services
enable real-time voice transmission using the Internet Protocol (IP), a
packet-switched communications protocol.  The services can be provided in
two basic ways:  computer-to-computer IP telephony conducted through special
software and hardware at an end user's premises; or phone-to-phone IP
telephony conducted through "gateways" that enable applications originating
and/or terminating on the public switched network.  Phone-to-phone IP
telephony is provided through computer gateways that allow end users to make
and receive calls using their traditional telephones.  Gateways translate
the circuit-switched voice signal into IP packets, and vice versa, and
perform associated signalling, control, and address translation functions.
The voice communications can then be transmitted along with other data on
the "public" Internet, or can be routed through intranets or other private
data networks for improved performance.

      178.  Many commenters urged that we apply the requirements of
Section 255
to Internet telephony ("IP telephony") in general or phone-to-phone IP
telephony, specifically.   They pointed out that, given the evolutions in
communications and the rapid pace of technological innovation, we need to
ensure that as new services and networks are developed they are designed to
provide access to persons with disabilities.  They noted that it is during
the development stage that accessibility can be most effectively included.
We are concerned that consumers who are simply attempting to place or
receive a call using standard CPE not have their accessibility disappear or
diminished because the call is being transmitted using a new, developing
technology.  In addition, commenters stated that if persons with
disabilities cannot participate in communications over these newly
developing networks, they risk becoming further marginalized from society.

      179.  We ask commenters to provide any further information as
to the extent
to which phone-to-phone IP telephony services might impact the disability
community, and the steps, we should take to address any adverse impacts in
order to fulfill the goals of section 255, or otherwise promote the
accessibility of this technology.  Commenting parties should offer specific
suggestions as to the appropriate role for the Commission in guaranteeing
access and the statutory basis for that role.  For example, commenters
should address ways in which phone to phone IP telephony may be interpreted
as falling within the purview of section 255.  Commenters should provide
specific definitions of the services or equipment to which the statute might
apply, and the appropriate means of limiting its application to only those
services and equipment.  Commenters should address the ways, if any, in
which industry bodies can ensure access without  regulatory action.
Commenters should also describe the specific access issues or experiences
that might arise with IP telephony. For example, will TTY tones be
adequately transmitted in a packet-switched environment?  Will persons with
speech disabilities whose speech patterns and voice outputs from alternative
and augmentative communications devices may fall outside of traditional
voice patterns, face additional communications barriers with packetized
voice services?

      180.   We further ask commenters to address what efforts
manufacturers of
equipment that performs phone-to-phone IP telephony functions and providers
of phone-to-phone IP telephony services are currently making to ensure that
such equipment and services are accessible.  What improvements in
accessibility may be possible through the use of phone-to-phone IP
telephony? Are there natural opportunities for incorporating accessibility
into IP telephony?  can greater accessibility be achieved if requirements
are adopted early in the development of IP Telephony?  Is it possible that
greater levels of accessibility will be readily achievable with IP telephony
than conventional telephony? How will compatibility with assistive
technology affect the use of  IP telephony?

      181.  Commenters should also address the extent to which IP
telephony is
now, or soon will be, an effective substitute for conventional
circuit-switched telephony.  As Internet usage grows, phone-to-phone voice
IP telephony may be used with increasing frequency as an alternative to more
traditional telephone service.  How extensive is Internet telephony usage
today?  What is the projected usage of Internet telephony in the near
future? What is the projected use of various kinds of IP telephony by
persons with disabilities?

      182. Commenters are asked to describe differences in characteristics
between computer-based and phone-based IP telephony, and whether such
differences merit different treatment by the Commission. Given the rapid
pace of technological change in the telecommunications marketplace, we also
ask commenters to apprise us of any new technologies that may impact the
availability of accessible services and equipment.

              b.  Computer Based Equipment

      183.  We also seek comment on another aspect of the network
of the future
-- the movement of telecommunications and information service functions from
the network, or the terminal equipment which connects directly to the
network, into computer equipment which does not connect to the network
directly.  This computer hardware and software is not typically regarded as
CPE, but may, in fact, deliver the same functions we seek to make
accessible.  For instance, voicemail, interactive menus, or phone-to-phone
IP telephony in current network topologies can reside in equipment located
on the service provider's premises, but such functionalities are also
available in several forms to end users on their own premises.  For example,
voicemail can be purchased from a carrier, can be provided via software and
a private branch exchange (PBX), or can be provided through a computer that
connects with the PBX, but is not generally regarded as part of the PBX.  It
is this latter application as to which we seek comment.

      184.  These software applications shift the potential for accessibility
solutions from the core of the network to the end user's premises.  We
therefore ask commenters to address whether equipment that provides these
capabilities, but which does not connect directly into the public network
(or otherwise directly receive the transmission of the telecommunications),
should be considered to be CPE subject to the requirements of section 255.
We note, for example, that this Order does not currently reach a software
telephone or the personal computer on which it resides, even though it
performs the same functions as the traditional telephone.

      185.  We ask commenters to address the need to include this
computer-based
equipment as CPE or otherwise apply the provisions of these rules to that
equipment in order to ensure access.  We also ask commenters to address
whether failure to bring such equipment within the scope of section 255
would create a serious gap in coverage that would interfere with our ability
to effectively implement its provisions.   Commenters should offer
suggestions as to the appropriate role for the Commission in ensuring access
for this kind of equipment and the statutory basis for that role.  We also
ask about the potential for this kind of equipment for improving
accessibility and its compatibility with assistive technology.  Is it
possible that greater levels of accessibility will be readily achievable if
this kind of equipment has accessibility requirements?