Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: [well maybe djf] Machine Demonstrates Superhuman Speech Recognition Abilities

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 18:14:19 -0400

I asked for an opinion and got

"I watched their vidoe over the net.  There's a lot that's not said in
their demo.  They present a 4 word recognition system, by the way."

djf

Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 23:54:06 +0200 (CEST)
From: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar () bitcon no>
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>

Prof. Farber,

I came across this through a link on Slashdot. I thought perhaps it would
be interesting to IP-ers. Excerpts from the USC press release:

"University of Southern California biomedical engineers have created the
world's first machine system that can recognize spoken words better than
humans can. A fundamental rethinking of a long-underperforming computer
architecture led to their achievement."

"Neural nets are computing devices that mimic the way brains process
information. Speaker-independent systems can recognize a word no matter
who or what pronounces it."

"The system can distinguished words in vast amounts of random
'white' noise - noise with amplitude 1,000 times the strength of the
target auditory signal. Human listeners can deal with only a fraction as
much."

"'Even large nets with more than 1,000 neurons and 10,000 interconnections
have shown lackluster results compared with theoretical
capabilities. Deficiencies were often laid to the fact that even
1,000-neuron networks are tiny, compared with the millions or billions of
neurons in biological systems.'

Remarkably, USC's neural net system uses an architecture consisting of
just 11 neurons connected by a mere 30 links."

More information here (the USC press release):
http://www.usc.edu/ext-relations/news_service/releases/stories/36013.html

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Helliesen   | Bergen IT Consult AS  | NetBSD/VAX on a uVAX II
Systems Consultant | Bergen, Norway        | '86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2