Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on Crypto regs draft released

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 20:14:50 -0500

Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 20:03:11 -0500
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Will Rodger <rodger () worldnet att net>

http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/ctg734.htm
Critics attack encryption proposal

By Will Rodger, USATODAY.com

Critics Tuesday attacked a new Clinton administration proposal that was
supposed to relax controls on the export of encryption technologies
crucial to online business and individual privacy.

A draft of those regulations, written by the Commerce Department, was
obtained by USATODAY.com.

Representatives of online businesses and public interest groups say they
are deeply dissatisfied with the plan.

"This is a very modest step forward cloaked in the guise of a great
advance," said David Banisar, an attorney in the Washington DC area and
author of several books on encryption policy.

It's designed "solely to relieve pressure for Congress to step in" and
take stronger action, he said.

"A lot of questions remain," added Ed Gillespie, executive director of the
industry-backed Americans for Computer Privacy. "Two months ago we were
talking about a clean lifting of export restrictions. Today we're looking
at a complex morass of regulations."

Bill Reinsch, undersecretary for export administration at Commerce,
defended the proposal. "So far most (critics) have chosen to make their
comments to the press," he said. "It sounds to me like most people are
doing the press release first and the careful analysis second."

The proposal, he added, is a work in progress. "We don't have any
illusions here at Commerce that it's a finished product," he said. "I take
all the complaint with good cheer because we want to make some repairs."

As the White House explained it Sept. 16, American businesses would soon
be allowed to export most encryption technologies to all but a handful of
countries starting sometime next year. With that permission in hand, US
companies would be free to compete with foreign companies that are
increasingly taking over computer security markets abroad.

Nonetheless, the Administration has continued to insist on banning export
of the most powerful encryption technologies for fear terrorists and
criminals would hide their online activities from police and the
eavesdropping capabilities of the National Security Agency.

The new proposal, critics say, leaves confusion in its wake:

The regulations say companies can export "retail" encryption software that
does not require extensive support by the manufacturer. Yet in a world in
which even difficult-to-use network software is available at the corner
software store, no one seems sure what does and does not fit this definition.

The administration promised to decontrol exports to non-government
entities, but even that definition is vague. For example, is Italy's car
manufacturer Fiat, with less than 10% government ownership, considered a
governmental entity?

Some language lifts restrictions on software for "low-end" Internet
servers. Yet industry representatives who have met with the Commerce
Department say no one knows what "low-end" really means.

Administration backers insist time will smooth out the details.

"Everybody was afraid the government wasn't going to deliver," said
Stewart D. Baker, former counsel to the National Security Agency. "This
utterly changes the encryption control landscape. This means very strong
encryption is going to become widespread."

In addition to lifting controls on encryption products most people use to
secure e-mail and bank accounts to protect against online hackers, the
proposal would also permit export of so-called "open source" computer code
that programmers write before converting it into a program others can use.

That much, at least, draws praise.

"If that's true that's very good for the open source community," said Erik
Troan Director of Engineering at Red Hat Software in Research Triangle,
N.C. "I suppose that's very good for the proprietary companies as well, as
so much encryption technology is well understood and widely disseminated
in the academic press."

Front page, News, Sports, Money, Life, Weather, Marketplace © Copyright
1999 USA TODAY, a division of Gannett Co. Inc.