Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Markle Foundation Commits More Than $1 Million To Improve Internet Governance, Including Initiatives To Make ICANN More Publicly Accountable

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 18:37:52 -0500

http://www.markle.org/news/Release.199911021044.1219.html
November 2, 1999
Markle Foundation Commits More Than $1 Million To Improve Internet
Governance, Including Initiatives To Make ICANN More Publicly Accountable
Markle’s efforts designed to help ensure that all users of the Internet are
aware of ICANN’s role and have a voice in its decision-making through
selection of members of ICANN’s Board of Directors
Markle will fund public participation in ICANN and has enlisted The Carter
Center, Common Cause, the American Library Association, Harvard’s Berkman
Center for Internet and Society, and the Center for Democracy and Technology
Key component of Markle’s $100-million initiative – spearheaded by Markle
President Zoë Baird – to improve people’s lives through emerging
communications media and information technologies
November 2, Los Angeles, CA – The Markle Foundation is committing more than
$1-million to improve Internet governance, including several major
initiatives designed to make ICANN, the Internet’s first international
oversight body, more accountable to all users of the Internet, it was
announced in a statement today by Zoë Baird, President of the Markle
Foundation.
After a year of initial activities, the first elected Board of Directors of
ICANN (the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) is now
being selected; nine of the 19 Directors have already been elected by three
supporting organizations representing technical and commercial interests.
Users of the Internet at large will elect an additional nine Directors, and
Markle is helping to ensure that this election process is representative,
fair and credible.
Markle’s first initiative – a $200,000 grant directly to ICANN to initiate
this process—will enable the organization to hire staff, conduct outreach
(including easy-to-understand educational materials), create technical
mechanisms for global voting, translate key documents into several major
languages for the benefit of all potential ICANN members worldwide, and
initiate the voting process.
Ms. Baird also announced that Markle had enlisted the support of, and is
providing funds for efforts by, The Carter Center, Common Cause, the
American Library Association and other organizations from around the world
to help establish the election process, to reach out to Internet users, and
to monitor the elections. These efforts are designed to encourage the
greatest participation by the broadest geographic base of individuals and
non-commercial users.
Ms. Baird said, “Global institutions are beginning to oversee Internet
activities. The decisions they make will determine whether the Internet
achieves its potential as a powerful weapon for democratic values and
aspirations. Management of the Internet by a private entity will not be
stable or legitimate if that entity does not adequately include the public
voice. So it is essential that ICANN – which is establishing rules that
impact individuals and organizations alike – be accountable to all Internet
users everywhere. Specifically, that means building a legitimate way for
individuals to vote and create an authority they can trust. We are bringing
in experts who can make this happen.”
Ms. Baird added, “The public must be aware of what is going on, understand
what is at stake and have a meaningful opportunity to express its opinion.
President Jimmy Carter and the Carter Center, which has overseen scores of
elections worldwide, and Washington, DC-based Common Cause, under the
leadership of former Massachusetts Attorney General Scott Harshbarger, give
the Internet community the expertise of leaders who understand how to build
and protect democratic institutions. They – and our other partners – will
help us forge essential ties between the Internet community and established
democracy advocates here and abroad.”
Esther Dyson, Interim Chairman of ICANN’s Initial Board of Directors, said,
“We’re just delighted that Markle will make such a substantial contribution
to ICANN’s At-Large Membership program. Markle’s commitment to broad public
participation in setting policy for the Internet infrastructure is evident
in the size of the grant and the attention to the issues that come with it.
Although ICANN’s specific mandate is limited, we hope its activities will
be a key foundation for Markle’s initiatives in building public interest
and participation in the global medium. We plan to use the money to move
quickly in public outreach, so that we can have broad and informed public
input as we move forward in the design and implementation of the At-Large
membership structure, which will ultimately produce 9 of our 19 directors.”