Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: One last item on the e-rate and FCC chairman Kennard

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 20:22:48 -0400

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

[Recently I spoke with a Manhattan media executive who is a family member.
He heard FTC chairman Robert Pitofsky speak at an event well-attended by
high tech execs. The audience reportedly was flabbergasted by the way
Pitofsky "spoke down" to them, as if they didn't understand their business
or technology and needed government officials to explain it to them. Even
more disturbing (I'm told) were the veiled do-this-or-else regulatory
threats. But because of the FTC's power, audience members weren't exactly
eager to say this publicly. I will forward other perspectives. --Declan]

*********