Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: A bit more on ASIO cleared to hack into computers

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 17:45:39 -0500

Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 07:23:41 +1000 (EST)
From: Katherine Phelps <muse () glasswings com au>
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>

On 26-Mar-99 Dave Farber wrote:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/9903/26/pageone/pageone3.html
Friday, March 26, 1999
ASIO cleared to hack into computers
By BERNARD LAGAN and BEN POWER

Sadly, our current government in Australia is keen to emulate the US during the
Reagan years. We do have Electronic Frontier Australia working, often
successfully, to put to rout these things. I don't think the addition to ASIO's
powers has been finalised, since it must go through both houses and I think may
have only been a proposed change by the standing government. Your report made
the thing out to be a done deal.

Fortunately, one thing people from the US don't understand about this country,
is that its inhabitants don't take parliament all that seriously. If the police
don't like a law, they don't enforce it, and I've sat in a court room and
listened to a judge consciously ignore certain laws and judge according to what
he thought was fair, and nobody questioned it. Of course the defendant could
have appealed the decision to be prosecuted, but do you think a defendant would?

Regards,

Katherine

E-Mail: Katherine Phelps <muse () glasswings com au>
BA (Hons), MFA, PhD (candidate)
http://www.glasswings.com.au/
Nothing can withstand the powers of love, laughter and imagination