Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: [ a bit moreon and more scary djf] [scary djf] Author's Y2K Presentation at Book Store

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 13:29:19 -0500

From: "John F. McMullen" <johnmac () acm org>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
k Store
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 10:41:41 -0500

A follow up on the wackiness - I've also been listening to a short wave
station, WWCR, in the middle of the night - I read about it in a shortwave
guide. WWCR stands for "World Wide Christian Radio" and it rents time to
programs of an extremely fundamentalist and often bizarre bent (I know that
they are not the same thing). What all of the programs have in common is a
distrust and hated of "The New World Order" and Y2K is a very hot topic. I
haven't heard these folk say that it is planned as did Mr. Smith but many
hold that it will give the government and excuse to bring FEMA in and to
supress local groups and governments to "restore order" - also FEMA will
want to take food and supplies from those prudent survavivalists who have
accumulated it to share it with the lazy and stupid who have not - so
prepare to defend it. It's, as djf said, scarey.

This groups have used the "New World Order" panoria (with the fear of the UN
black hellicopters and the boxcars to take away believers) as an excuse for
some of the worst religious predjuice that I have heard - I had thought that
most of that had disappeared - the Jew finance the NOW and the Catholics
(sometimes referred derivesly as "The Church of Rome"), as an international
religion, are instruments of the conspiracy (in fact, I learned something -
one broadcast said the "The Catholic Church has perverted Christianity by
introducing confession, purgatory and indulgences and giving people a
license to sin - funny - growing up Catholic in NYC, I never found a priest
who said "Go and sin somemore and come to me" .. damn).

I think those of us in urban areas or on university campuses may forget how
much looneyism and bigotry is out there. Unfortunately, Y2K and the New
World Order provides a cover for these folk.

"When you come to the fork in the road, take it" - L.P. Berra
"Be precise in the use of words and expect precision from others" - Pierre
Abelard
John F. McMullen
johnmac () acm org ICQ: 4368412
http://www.westnet.com/~observer