Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: A word of caution for those upgrading from IE% BETA to IE5 Gold IE/OE 5 -- the case of the disappearing email [software bug]

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 16:07:07 -0500

I deleted IE 5 beta a long time ago when it stopped me from using PGP due to library problems. For those who stayed
with it, caution now. djf
From: "Jeff Schult" <jeff () tftb com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: IE/OE 5 -- the case of the disappearing email
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 15:58:27 -0500

Nice feature of Internet Explorer 5 and Outlook Express 5, fyi. ;-)

It seems to work OK *if* you install it directly over the beta, or over IE4.
HOWEVER, *if* you've been using beta 5, and you decide to delete the beta
and do a clean install of the new browser, after backing up your MS
Applications Data folder -- as many, um,  "trained professionals"
might -- you're completely unable to import or read *any mail you did while
using the beta!*

The culprit is the mail file format in the beta, .ods -- it's been changed
in the gold version. The ONLY way to get the mail back is to dump IE5, do a
clean, fresh install of
IE4 (and really the only way to do that is a format and a reinstall of the
OS.) And THEN reinstall IE5 beta, which is extremely difficult to find,
since
MS has pulled it off all the servers.

I lost all mail dated after Dec. 20, 1998, which is the day I installed the
beta. I was able to recover it because I
grabbed a guy who still had the beta files -- 17 megs -- before he upgraded.
There are similar stories on Usenet -- do a search on dejanews for .ods, IE5
beta, if you're curious.

Thank you, Microsoft. ;-) I now IMAP my work mail on a Linux server at home,
to be 3x-safe.
Incidentally, I use IE and Outlook, Outlook Express at work, in part,
because it's part of the package the ISP that I work for distributes, so I
have to keep up on its quirks.

Jeff Schult
jschult () snet net
Web Editor