Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more more on Linux & Y2K unknowns?

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 21:16:41 -0500

From: "Robert Cannon" <cannon () dc net>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Re: Linux & Y2K unknowns?
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 21:20:04 -0400

One of the problems that I have been told with Linux / Unix is that
althought the OS may be Y2K ready, at boot up the OS does a call to the Real
Time Clock and the RTC may not be Y2K ready.  Thus you have a problem of
"bad data in, bad data out."  Later versions of Linux/Unix account for this
but network operators should be careful to look into what version they have.

Red Hat has a readiness disclosure on its web site that states if the user
has a version of Red Hat prior to 4.1, I believe, the user should upgrade in
order to be Y2K ready.  Red Hat gives out a free patch.

I have heard indications of other problems but this one is clearly of
concern.  This demonstrates why it is so important for network operators to
conduct a thorough assessment of their systems, not taking anything for
granted.

There is more information about Linux, Unix and Y2K at the Internet Y2K
Campaign web site.  www.nety2k.org

-Robert Cannon