Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Linux & Y2K unknowns?

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 19:48:53 -0500

Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 19:41:16 -0500
From: Jock Gill <jgill () penfield-gill com>
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>

Dave,

For IP sleuthing.

From a reliable source I learned that earlier today, Friday, in
Australia, at a large icecream plant, their was a very significant
Y2K test.  And a very unsettling failure.  Seems that their Linux
servers went awry.  Seems that this test was confirmed at Linux
central but that no one undestands the problem:  i.e no known fix at
this moment. This is unsettling if true.

Perhaps IPers can tell the rest of us the true situation with Linux
and Y2K.  I regret that I am unable to give the exact steps which
provoked the Linux Y2K problem.

Regards,

Jock

--