Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: FCC: REGULATORY JURISDICTION DOES NOT IMPLY REGULATORY ACTION

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 14:11:28 -0500

Federal Communications Commission chairman William E. Kennard has reiterated
that the FCC has no intention of making computer users pay long-distance
fees for dial-up access to the Internet, despite the FCC's recent decision
that dial-up calls to the Internet are interstate communications subject to
federal jurisdiction. "I want to say this as clearly as I can ... As long
as I'm chairman of the Federal Communications Commission this agency will
not regulate the Internet." (Associated Press 12 Mar 99)