Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: VP Gore and the Internet

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 13:13:23 -0500

I would like to add my personal observations. Gore has over the past years served the Internet community in several
unique fashions. When in the Senate, he helped conceive and lead the effort that resulted in the NSFNet and the HPCC
initiatives. Both of these were major critical steps in the creation of the non technical aspects of the Internet. The
spreading of the culture by the NSFnet was a critical step for the Internet and Gores political and personal support
was a key part of making it fly in the Congressional process. (I know I was along with others an architect of NSFNet).
HPCC was the research  vehicle that lead us to high speed networks in our current internet community.

His image of the Digital Superhighway created an image that excited the public and the congress.  As a PITAC member I
have had an opportunity  to meet with the VP and have seen his deep insight into the future of the net and his support
for it and its future -- the IT2 initiative is an example.

So no,  Gore did not technically create the Internet but without him, there is a good chance it would not be where it
is today -- the engine of the US future prosperity.

Dave

From: jspira () basex com

Dave,

I think that IP readers will find this quite interesting.

http://www.wired.com/news/news/politics/story/18390.html

                     NO CREDIT WHERE IT'S DUE
                     3:00 a.m. Vice President Gore tells a
                     reporter the Internet was his idea. Nice
                     try, Al. Declan McCullagh reports from
                     Washington.

Jonathan B Spira                    E-mail jspira () basex com
The Basex Group, Inc                URL http://www.basex.com
15 E 26th Street                    Tel +1 (212) 725-2600 x113
New York, NY 10010 USA              Facsimile +1 (212) 532-5406