Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Y2K Scam

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 23:01:53 -0500

From: "Larry Andrew" <LLAndrew () powersurge net>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>, <declan () well com>

Dave,

The scams begin again!!!  Have either of you you seen this one yet?
I have no idea how real this is but a friend sent it to me & I'm passing it
on just in case it is new.  (the names have been deleted to protect the
guilty)  :(

Now anyone with enough competence to have a bank account should have sense
enough to know NOT to give out this info over the phone.  On the other hand,
there are some Slick operators out there, so - A word to the wise....

Larry Andrew
========================
Subject: [RUReady4Y2K] Y2K Scam

<addresses deleted>

For your information and protection.  Received from a Boston Area Y2k
List.
Please read and share this information with others.

I got a call from a man this weekend telling me he represented my
bank and that they were having difficulty meeting requirements to be
computer ready for Y2K. He said all bank customers would need to
transfer their accounts to a bond account specially designed to protect
our money until the bank could fully comply with Y2K requirements.
He then said to verify that he was talking to the proper account person
I needed to confirm information about myself, my account numbers and
then give verbal authorization to transfer funds to this specially
designed
account.

I don't trust folks who do this kind of thing so I asked him which of the
banks I use did he represent. He was not able to do that and hung up
at that point. Please pass this info to friends or family because this is
a huge scam that is going on all across the country. Some people would
be scared to think they would loose all their money (which he said was
sure to happen if I didn't do this now) and would supply the information
without first checking this out. I notified the phone company of the call
- since I have caller ID, I could give them a number but the identifier
just
said "out of area". It came from a 248 area code which is around Detroit.
Anyway, just passing this along so you'd be aware and beware. Have a
good day.