Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Independence & Cyberspace

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 09:27:32 -0400

From: "John F. McMullen" <johnmac () acm org>

As we celebrate the independence of the American Government, it seems to me
that it is a good time to consider the implications of that drive for
independence upon the present attempts to govern this new wilderness which
we call "Cyberspace". A good starting point for this considersation, it
further seems to me, is the "Declaration of Independence" written in 1996 by
John Perry Barlow and it follows these comments (Barlow should need no
introduction to anyone receiving this mailing; if more background on JPB is
desired, go to his Web page).

Following Barlow's Declaration is a July 5, 1999 editorial by ZiffDavis'
Jesse Berst (slightly edited to eliminate "Click for more"s - go to the
links at the end of the editorial for more information on the points
mentioned in the outline) concerning immediate threats to cyberspace
freedom. These issues are real and, unfortunately, unthought of by most. To
live in this world, we will have to understand it and take charge of it.
Happy Independence Day!

A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace

Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I
come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask
you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no
sovereignty where we gather. We have no elected government, nor are we
likely to have one, so I address you with no greater authority than that
with which liberty itself always speaks. I declare the global social space
we are building to be naturally independent of the tyrannies you seek to
impose on us. You have no moral right to rule us nor do you possess any
methods of enforcement we have true reason to fear. Governments derive their
just powers from the consent of the governed. You have neither solicited nor
received ours. We did not invite you. You do not know us, nor do you know
our world. Cyberspace does not lie within your borders. Do not think that
you can build it, as though it were a public construction project. You
cannot. It is an act of nature and it grows itself through our collective
actions. You have not engaged in our great and gathering conversation, nor
did you create the wealth of our marketplaces. You do not know our culture,
our ethics, or the unwritten codes that already provide our society more
order than could be obtained by any of your impositions. You claim there are
problems among us that you need to solve. You use this claim as an excuse to
invade our precincts. Many of these problems don't exist. Where there are
real conflicts, where there are wrongs, we will identify them and address
them by our means. We are forming our own Social Contract . This governance
will arise according to the conditions of our world, not yours. Our world is
different. Cyberspace consists of transactions, relationships, and thought
itself, arrayed like a standing wave in the web of our communications. Ours
is a world that is both everywhere and nowhere, but it is not where bodies
live. We are creating a world that all may enter without privilege or
prejudice accorded by race, economic power, military force, or station of
birth. We are creating a world where anyone, anywhere may express his or her
beliefs, no matter how singular, without fear of being coerced into silence
or conformity. Your legal concepts of property, expression, identity,
movement, and context do not apply to us. They are based on matter, There is
no matter here. Our identities have no bodies, so, unlike you, we cannot
obtain order by physical coercion. We believe that from ethics, enlightened
self-interest, and the commonweal, our governance will emerge . Our
identities may be distributed across many of your jurisdictions. The only
law that all our constituent cultures would generally recognize is the
Golden Rule. We hope we will be able to build our particular solutions on
that basis. But we cannot accept the solutions you are attempting to impose.
In the United States, you have today created a law, the Telecommunications
Reform Act, which repudiates your own Constitution and insults the dreams of
Jefferson, Washington, Mill, Madison, DeToqueville, and Brandeis. These
dreams must now be born anew in us. You are terrified of your own children,
since they are natives in a world where you will always be immigrants.
Because you fear them, you entrust your bureaucracies with the parental
responsibilities you are too cowardly to confront yourselves. In our world,
all the sentiments and expressions of humanity, from the debasing to the
angelic, are parts of a seamless whole, the global conversation of bits. We
cannot separate the air that chokes from the air upon which wings beat. In
China, Germany, France, Russia, Singapore, Italy and the United States, you
are trying to ward off the virus of liberty by erecting guard posts at the
frontiers of Cyberspace. These may keep out the contagion for a small time,
but they will not work in a world that will soon be blanketed in bit-bearing
media. Your increasingly obsolete information industries would perpetuate
themselves by proposing laws, in America and elsewhere, that claim to own
speech itself throughout the world. These laws would declare ideas to be
another industrial product, no more noble than pig iron. In our world,
whatever the human mind may create can be reproduced and distributed
infinitely at no cost. The global conveyance of thought no longer requires
your factories to accomplish. These increasingly hostile and colonial
measures place us in the same position as those previous lovers of freedom
and self-determination who had to reject the authorities of distant,
uninformed powers. We must declare our virtual selves immune to your
sovereignty, even as we continue to consent to your rule over our bodies. We
will spread ourselves across the Planet so that no one can arrest our
thoughts. We will create a civilization of the Mind in Cyberspace. May it be
more humane and fair than the world your governments have made before.

Davos, Switzerland February 8, 1996
John Perry Barlow, Cognitive Dissident Co-Founder, Electronic Frontier
Foundation Home(stead) Page: http://www.eff.org/~barlow

----------------------------------

Net Freedom Under Attack
http://chkpt.zdnet.com/chkpt/adem2fpf/www.anchordesk.com/story/story_3566.ht
mlJesse Berst, Editorial Director
Monday, July 05, 1999

First Al Gore "invented" the Internet.
Now he and his kind want to control it.
It's bad enough when self-serving politicians take credit  for other
people's work. But when they want to manipulate  and milk it... that's where
we need to draw the line.
We are in the midst of a digital revolution that brings  with it tremendous
freedoms... and tremendous risks. If  we are not vigilant, the Internet of
tomorrow will be  under the sway of politicians, bureaucrats and demagogues.
In the U.S., for instance, politicians are already launching  "bold"
Internet initiatives in anticipation of the 2000  Presidential race.
Believe me, these attempts to shanghai the Internet are  not limited to any
particular political party or any particular  country. The threats to our
digital freedom are widespread  and growing:
American censorship: The Child Online Protection Act was  shot down by the
courts earlier this year, but the U.S.  government is appealing. If the
government wins, the law  could have far-reaching effects on legitimate Web
sites,  while doing little to reduce the exploitation of children.
International censorship: China, Saudi Arabia, Singapore  and Australia have
all passed legislation to "filter"  content on the Internet.
Internet taxes: The American moratorium on Internet taxes  will expire.
Recent hearings in Congress point to an Internet  sales tax.
Privacy:  Ecommerce exposes us to increased fraud and  manipulation. The
government is poised to enforce standards.  A good thing, in theory perhaps.
But dangerous if we let  the government go too far.
Favoritism: On the same day U.S. House Republicans were  touting their
"E-Contract," the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer  Protection Act was
introduced in the Senate. As BusinessWeek's  Mike France points out, the
bill gives existing corporations  first rights to the best Web
addresses-screwing all  the startups fueling this new economy.
Those are a few of the threats to our Internet independence.  What can we do
about them? Fortunately, we have a number  of weapons on our side...
including the power and influence  of AnchorDesk's readership, as I explain
below.
The threats outlined are very real. Fortunately,  there are several easy
ways to help the Internet preserve  its independence.
Understanding the issues. You must know your enemy before  you can defeat
it. A good place to start is with the latest  news stories and permanent
links we've assembled in our  Briefing Centers. Start with Net Politics:
Jesse's Town  Hall, then click to Privacy. Another good source is
IntellectualCapital.com's  Business & Technology section. Click for more. Or
Policy.com's  Virtual Congress pages. Click for more.
Power in numbers. The Internet affords a tremendous opportunity
to join forces to influence decisions. We've seen that
firsthand here at AnchorDesk with our MAD petitions, Software
Money-Back Guarantee, and more recently, the Privacy First
campaign.

I also expect Netizens to play
a key role in the next U.S. Presidential election. Click
for more. Plus, there are numerous organizations working
to protect the Internet-and you. Turn up the volume
by adding your voice:

Center for Democracy and Technology
Global Internet Liberty Campaign
Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility
Electronic Frontier Foundation
Truste
Freedom Forum Online
Internet Society

Consumer protection guidelines. A move is underway to  set voluntary
guidelines for electronic commerce. Theoretically,  this concept would give
consumers the protection they  need while keeping control away from red-tape
bureaucrats.  AnchorDesk is supporting this initiative, and we hope  we can
return soon to report real progress.
Use the TalkBack link to recommend other ways to safeguard  Net freedoms. Or
join my Berst Alerts forum where a discussion  is underway.
READ MORE:
Jesse: Power to the People - ZDNet AnchorDesk
http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/story/story_3090.html
How to Protect Ourselves From Electronic Invasion - ZDNet AnchorDesk
http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/story/story_3216.html
TalkBack Files: What Readers Are Saying - ZDNet AnchorDesk
http://www.zdnet.com/chkpt/adem2fpf/www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/talkback/talkba
ckindex.html
DOJ Appeals: What's Next for COPA? - ZDNN
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2237110,00.html
Australia Senate passes Net control bill - ZDNN
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2266715,00.html
GOP, Demos Woo High-Tech - ZDNN
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2281517,00.html
Tax-Free Web Goods May Disappear - ZDNN
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2281815,00.html
SUBSCRIBE:
Get AnchorDesk's Email Summary in Your Inbox! - ZDNet AnchorDesk
http://www.zdnet.com/chkpt/adem2fpf/www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/whoiswe/subscri
be.html
DISCUSS:
Jesse's Berst Alerts
http://chkpt.zdnet.com/chkpt/adem2fpf/www.anchordesk.com/disgroups/disgroups
_54.html
TOPICS:
Net Politics: Jesse's Town Hall
http://chkpt.zdnet.com/chkpt/adem2fpf/www.anchordesk.com/topics/topics_357.h
tml
Privacy
http://chkpt.zdnet.com/chkpt/adem2fpf/www.anchordesk.com/topics/topics_365.h
tml

"When you come to the fork in the road, take it" - L.P. Berra
"Be precise in the use of words and expect precision from others" - Pierre
Abelard
John F. McMullen
johnmac () acm org ICQ: 4368412 Fax: (603) 288-8440
 http://www.westnet.com/~observer
http://www.westnet.com/~observer/Y2KCOACH.html (Y2K Site)