Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: An editorial statement re ICANN and Ribbonss

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 17:59:29 -0500

A word of explanation (see item below) So this is not construed the wrong way,  I have been all along a supporter of
the ideas of ICANN as a way of removing Governments from directly managing parts of the net. I supported Jon Postel in
his setting up of ICANN via my activities in the ITAG. Through out that process I felt free to criticize when necessary
and has several loud discussions. I for the past months have pleaded with ICANN to open their Board meetings to dispel
the notions of many that there is something going on. However the ICANN Board refuses to have open board meetings and
thus the only way I have, at present,  is to help support such ribbon events and similar things.

I continue to support the notion in back of ICANN and am criticizing important but fixable errors. Lets get back to the
idea of open meetings and open discussion that has done well by the net to date or lets hear a real reason for closed
meetings other than it is easier.

Dave

http://www.wired.com/news/news/email/tip/politics/story/18048.html

"Ellen Rony plans to seed the upcoming meeting of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers with gray
ribbons. The ribbons, already adorning the Internet, will be worn and handed out by ICANN members who support her
cause.

"A gray ribbon is like a discreet, walking signboard to give visibility to the complaint that ICANN's board meetings
are closed," said Rony, author of the Domain Name Handbook, in an email.
Meeting attendees Dave Farber and Dan Steinberg have agreed to wear and distribute the gray ribbons at the meeting.
Both are intimately involved with the evolution of the domain name system, she said.
"