Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: From a Friend -- "The best piece on Clinton I have read"

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 19:43:03 -0500

A friend sent it to me and others to provoke thinking without necessarily agreeing with what the author said. djf

I think you will find the following thought provoking and a good read. Gabriel Garcia Marquez is one of the greatest of
the magical novelists of Latin America.

-----------------------------------

The first thing you notice about William Jefferson Clinton is his height. The second is his power of seduction: from
the first handshake he oozes the familiarity of an old friend. The third is his intellectual brilliance. You can tackle
him on any issue, however thorny, as long as you phrase your question right. I had already been warned by one of his
lesser admirers that the real danger of Clinton is the way he charms you into thinking that whatever you are saying is
the most fascinating thing he has ever heard.

I met Clinton in August 1995 at a dinner organised by the writer William Styron at his summer house in Martha's
Vineyard. During his first presidential campaign, he had said that my novel One Hundred Years Of Solitude was his
favourite book. I was quoted in the press responding that I thought this was just a bait for the Latino electorate. It
didn't go unnoticed. Clinton's first comment on meeting me at Martha's Vineyard was that he'd meant everything he'd
said.

Carlos Fuentes and I have our reasons for believing that we lived a great chapter in our memoirs that night. Clinton
caught us off guard with his sense of humour, his interest and respect for what we were saying. He hung on our every
word as if it were gold dust. His mood fitted his appearance. His hair was cut short like a brush, his skin was tanned,
he had the rude health of a sailor on leave and he wore a childish sweatshirt with a logo stamped on the chest. At 49,
he was a glorious survivor of the generation of '68, someone who had smoked dope and sung along to the Beatles, someone
who had taken to the streets in protest at the Vietnam war.

The dinner began at eight and finished at midnight, there were 14 guests at the table, but little by little, the
conversation turned into an impromptu literary jousting match between the President and the three writers. The first
topic was the imminent Pan-American summit. Clinton wanted it to be held in Miami, where it eventually did take place.

Fuentes and I thought that New Orleans or Los Angeles had a more historical standing. We defended our thesis valiantly
until it became clear that Clinton wouldn't budge. He was counting on the Miami vote for his reelection.

'Forget votes, Mr. President,' Fuentes said. 'Florida loses, history wins.' That set the tone for the evening. When
talk turned to drug trafficking, the President lent me a benevolent ear: 'The 30 million drug addicts in the US are
proof that the North American Mafia is much more powerful than the Colombians and the US authorities are far more
corrupt.' When I raised the issue of Cuba, he seemed even more receptive: 'If you and Fidel sat down and discussed this
face to face I'm sure that it could all be sorted out.' We skimmed over Latin America and it became clear that his
interest was far greater than we had imagined, even though he lacked a few essential details. When the conversation
threatened to turn too formal, we asked him to name his favourite film. High Noon, by Fred Zinnemann, whom he had
honoured in London days before. And when we asked what he was reading, he breathed a sigh of relief and mentioned a
book about economic wars of the future, whose author and title I didn't recognise.

'You're better off reading Don Quixote,' I told him. 'It's all in there.' The truth is that Don Quixote is not read by
half the people who mention it in conversation, but very few own up to never having opened it. Clinton proved with two
or three references that he knew it well.

Enthused, he asked us all to name our favourite books. Styron chose Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain, I would have chosen
Oedipus Rex by Sophocles, which has taken pride of place on my bedside table for 20 years, but I decided on the Count
Of Monte Cristo for reasons hard to explain. Clinton's favourite was Meditations by Marcus Aurelius and Fuentes didn't
hesitate on Absalom! Absalom!, William Faulkner's best work, although some prefer Light In August for personal reasons.
In homage to Faulkner, Clinton stood up and, taking long strides around the table, recited from memory Benji's
monologue from The Sound And The Fury - an astonishing but almost impenetrable passage.

Talk of Faulkner led us once more on to the subject of the affinities between Caribbean writers and the authors of the
American South. It seemed logical to us to view the Caribbean not as a geographical area confined to the Caribbean sea
but as a vast cultural and historical space stretching down to the north of Brazil and up to the Mississippi basin.
Thus Mark Twain, William Faulkner, John Steinbeck and so many others are just as Caribbean in their own right as Jorge
Amado or Derek Walcott. Clinton, born and bred in Arkansas, welcomed the idea and happily proclaimed his own Caribbean
affiliation.

It was approaching midnight when Clinton had to interrupt the conversation to take an urgent call from Gerry Adams, and
then and there, he authorised Adams to raise funds and campaign for peace in Northern Ireland. That would have been a
historic ending to an unforgettable evening had Fuentes not gone one step further. He asked Clinton who he considered
to be his enemies. The answer was instant.

'My only enemy is right-wing religious fundamentalism.' With that, dinner was over. On the other occasions that I have
met Clinton, in public or in private, my first impressions have been confirmed. He is quite the opposite of what Latin
Americans imagine a US president to be.

So is it right that this exceptionally human man should have his place in history distorted because he couldn't find a
secluded spot in which to make love? It's true: the most powerful man on earth was unable to consummate a secret
passion because of the invisible but ever-present eyes of his security force, a force that serves more to prevent than
to protect.

There are no curtains at the windows of the Oval Office. There is no lock on the bathroom door behind which Clinton
carries out his more private matters. The vase of flowers that you see behind him in photographs of the Oval Office is,
according to the press, host to the bugging device that provided details of his affair.

Sadder still, the President only wanted to do what the common man has done behind his wife's back since the world began.

Puritan stupidity did not only refuse him that, it withheld his right to deny it.

Fiction was invented the day Jonah arrived home and told his wife that he was three days late because he had been
swallowed by a whale. Shielding himself with a similar trick of story telling, Clinton denied that he had had sexual
relations with Monica Lewinsky. He denied it with his head held high, as any self-respecting adulterer would. Because
at the end of the day, his personal drama is a private matter between him and his wife. Hillary was quick to defend him
to the world with Homeric dignity.

So it should be. It is one thing to lie to deceive, it is something quite different to conceal the truth in order to
protect one's private life. By right, no one is obliged to denounce themselves publicly. But because Clinton persisted
in his initial denial, he has been prosecuted in every way possible. Surely it is more dignified to perjure yourself in
defence of carnal desire, than to condemn love altogether? It was Clinton's misfortune that, with the same
determination with which he denied he was to blame, he was later to admit it and carry on admitting it in every single
media -- be it printed, visual or spoken -- to the point of total humiliation. This was the fatal mistake of a lover
disturbed in foreplay. Clinton will go down in history not for having made love badly, but for having turned the act of
love on its head. He submitted to oral sex while on the telephone to a senator. He sacrificed himself to a frigid
cigar. He resorted to every trick and appliance he could in order to make a mockery of nat
ure, but the harder he tried, the more his inquisitors found grounds against him. Because puritanism is an insatiable
vice that feeds off its own excrement.

The entire impeachment process has been a sinister plot by fanatics for the personal destruction of a political
adversary whose grandeur they could not bear. The method chosen was the criminal abuse of the justice system by a
fundamentalist public prosecutor named Kenneth Starr, whose inflamed and salacious examination of witnesses seemed to
excite him to the point of orgasm.

The Bill Clinton that we met four months ago at a White House gala held for Andres Pastrana was a different man. He was
no longer the laid-back graduate of Martha's Vineyard, but a condemned man, wizened and shy. His professional smile
couldn't hide his physical exhaustion; it was like the metal fatigue of an old plane.

Days before, at a dinner with journalists, in the presence of the grande dame of the Washington Post, Katharine Graham,
I heard someone say that judging by the Clinton trial, the US is still the country of Nathaniel Hawthorne. My dinner at
the White House was the living proof.

Hawthorne, the great American novelist of the last century, denounced the horrors of New England fundamentalism which
saw the Salem witches burnt alive. His best work, The Scarlet Letter, is the story of Hestor Prynne, a young married
woman who had an illegitimate child by a man who wasn't her husband. In the novel, a Kenneth Starr figure of the time
orders that she shall be punished by wearing a penitent's shirt marked with the letter A, the same colour and smell as
blood. A guard is ordered to follow her everywhere she goes, beating a drum so that passersby will stand aside.

The novel's ending shatters the dreams of our present day Starr, for the father of Prynne's child turns out to be the
minister of the very cult that martyred her.

The morals and the methods of the persecution of Clinton and Prynne are essentially the same. When Clinton's enemies
were unable to find a basis for prosecuting him for what they wanted, they hounded him with questions until they caught
him in a secondary snare. They forced him to denounce himself in public, they forced him to repent for something that
he hadn't done, live on air. The drums that haunted Hester Prynne were replaced with the latest information technology,
and through the lusty questions of the prosecutor, children at their mother's breast learned of the lies that their
parents had told them about how they came to exist.

Beaten by fatigue, Clinton succumbed to the unforgivable madness of an imagined enemy 5,396 sea miles from the White
House forcefully punishing him just to divert attention from his personal grief.

Toni Morrison, a Nobel Prize winner and one of the greatest writers of this dying century, sums it up in one inspired
flourish. 'They have treated Clinton as if he were a black president.'

Copyright Gabriel Garcia Marquez /Cambio Translation by Angelique Chrisafis.