Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Another view on Pentium III serial number not really off by default

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 10:13:46 -0500

Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 10:03:34 -0500
From: "Peter Schamerhorn" <peters () COREL CA>
To: farber () cis upenn edu

Hi Dave,

I just had to stick my nose in this one ....  What are all these whiners and
complainers doing with their time when they aren't worrying about Big
Brother, and the government looking at their email, and tracking their lives
in minutae(sic).  Having had to do some hardware design myself, I would
welcome a micro with a serial number built in.  I also suspect the corporate
world would also welcome with open arms this new tool for asset tracking.
Perhaps these people would like ALL serial numbers removed... from their
cars (Big Brother is tracking their automotive preferences after all), to
their VCRs and TVs (maybe secret messages are being sent from your VCR every
time you pop a movie... so they can tell who's a Commie and who isn't...).

Of course, like any hardware system, the only things exposed to the outside
world, are what your software allows to be exposed.  They should not be
harassing Intel, for trying to include a useful tool in their products, but
instead should be focusing on the software and OS vendors that may take
unfair advantage of it.

As far as the benefits of authentication to eCommerce, if people are so
worried about keeping their identity secret... but still want the benefits
and priveleges of eCommerce, a system could be easily devised working on a
two part key system... one part that is sofware generated, and one part
derived from the processor serial number.  That way you can positively ID
who you are... but if you want to 'disappear', you just change the software
part of your key!

Peter Schamerhorn

'"'It matters not how strait the gate,
how filled with punishment the scroll.
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul."
                        - Henley Invictus

Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu> 30-Jan-99 6:50:43 PM >>>