Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Predicting the Legal Internet Issues for 2000 NYT

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 06:29:12 -0500

Predicting the Legal Internet Issues for 2000
[ with such statements as "It looks now as if ICANN will be "captured" by
powerful commercial interests, who will use its procedures to ensure that
the domain name system is hospitable to their concerns. If ICANN resists
capture, however, it seems likely that those same interests will work
around it and ultimately transform it into an irrelevant figurehead
organization . . . I would expect that the structures created within the
next year will shape domain name space for the foreseeable future. "  by
Jessica Litman
Professor at Wayne State University Law School   djf]

The ancient Romans believed that it was bad luck to enter a building after
tripping over its threshold. The same superstition might apply to our
crossing into the next millennium, which by popular consensus is one day
away. Will the year 2000 -- the threshold year -- portend good luck or ill?
To find out, Cyber Law Journal asked a group of legal mavens to boldly
predict the two or three most significant developments in Internet law and
policy for 2000. Printed below are excerpts from some of their optimistic
and pessimistic responses.

http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/99/12/cyber/cyberlaw/31law.html