Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: The Absent, secure remote access system.

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 09:31:49 -0500

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 17:14:26 -0500
From: Avi Rubin <rubin () research att com>
To: "Bernard A. Galler" <galler () umich edu>
Subject: Hi
Could post the following to Interesting People?

Thanks,
Avi
------------------------------

We are pleased to announce the public release of the Absent, secure
remote access system.

A description, the paper, and the code are available at

 http://www.research.att.com/projects/absent

Absent is a system for secure remote access to the internal web from
outside. It addresses the problem of secure remote access to a site's
internal web server from outside the firewall. The goal is to give
authorized users access to sensitive information, while protecting the
information from others. We implemented our solution using a one-time
password scheme for
client authentication and SSL for confidentiality. Our main design
considerations were security, performance, ease of use,  vailability,
and scale. We were further constrained by the desire to leave our
firewall and local infrastructure unchanged.

Christian Gilmore, Dave Kormann, Avi Rubin
AT&T Labs - Research

Bernard A. Galler
E-mail:  galler () umich edu
Fax: 734-668-9998