Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: More on cell phone snooping and GSM crack

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 05:48:17 -0500

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 09:57:05 -0500
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
From: David Banisar <banisar () 2rad net>
Subject: cell phone intereception

Declan,

http://wired.lycos.com/news/politics/0,1283,32900,00.html

Moran from the GSM association claims that there is no hardware
available to intercept GSM calls. I just wanted to point out that
there are many commercial devices sold that are designed to intercept
cell phone communications, and i belive that many of them have been
redesigned to intercept digital communications (remember
Triggerfish?). These are typically only supposed to be sold to law
enforcement (at least under US law) but I imagine that any mega corp
or rich individual with enough $$ can get one also.

Dave