Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: "We are the most public secret cabal in the history of the world."

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 15:53:34 -0400

From: "Dave Wilson" <dave () wilson net>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Re: Re:  ICANN and what it is
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:05:42 -0400

As background, I'm the senior technology reporter for the San Jose Mercury
News, and work in the Washington bureau. ICANN has a reasonably responsive
and informative media operation, in my experience.

I think the real problem for the media is a lack of education about the
technology (and its history) among journalists, a dearth of analogies --
there really isn't anything else like this system that I know of -- that can
be used as a kind of shorthand to tell people what's going on, combined with
a longstanding suspicion among some -- you know who you are -- that a
"secret cabal" is running the show. As Dr. Postel said to me shortly before
he died, "We are the most public secret cabal in the history of the world."

A more accurate concern would be a lack of oversight in Internet operations.
I would argue that it is this issue that ICANN has come to symbolize, and
the concerns being raised have existed since the development of democratic
society: Who guards the guardians? It's been a couple of thousand years, and
we still don't have a great solution to that problem; I don't expect things
to change any time soon. But my point -- and I do have one -- is that ICANN
could do a much better job of explaining the competing balances of power
that its participants hope will keep the institution from running amok, not
unlike the Federalist Papers explained to a largely uneducated colonial
population the system of checks and balances that would govern the United
States of America.

-dave wilson