Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: : Re: Life, Liberty

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 15:16:08 -0400

From: "Harry Hillman Chartrand" <h-chartrand () home com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

I'm sorry for not getting back into the 'ring' sooner.  Your points are well
taken with respect to the 'words' of the Founding Fathers of the US
Constitution.  Unfortunately the difference between the letter and the
spirit of the law is the problem.

The notorious 'Manufacturer's Clause' is an example. From 1909 until the
mid-1980s no book by an American author could be sold in the United States
unless it was printed in the United States. This is how Henry Miller's work
was kept out of the US - copyright as censorship. Before 1909, no book by an
English speaking author could be sold in the US unless printed there and no
royalties were paid to non-American authors - Dickens got nothing.

The accession of the US to the Berne Convention is, from a cynic's
perspective, another example.  Whether it is the Visual Artist's Protection
Act which grants moral rights to artists of 'recognized stature' (an issue
to be determined by the courts, I assume) or the questionable concession
made to grant architect's protection, accession has been half-hearted at
best.  As far as I am concerned it was motivated by the extension of the
term of copyright desired by US copyright proprietors like Disney (Mickey
Mouse now has 25 more years of protection).  It had little if anything to do
with recognition of the rights of creators.  The tension within American
copyright law was perhaps best expressed by Chafee in his "Reflections on
the Law of Copyright I & II" in the Columbia Law review, Vol. 45, Nos 4 & 5
1945.   On virtually the same page Chafee states:

" ... intellectual property is, after all, the only absolute possession in
the world... The man who brings out of nothingness some child of his thought
has rights which cannot belong to any other sort of property"

then:

" We should start by reminding ourselves that copyright is a monopoly.  Like
other monopolies, it is open to objections; it burdens both competitors and
the public.  Unlike most other monopolies, the law permits and even
encourages it because of its peculiar great advantages.  Still, remembering
that it is a monopoly, we must be sure that the burdens do not outweigh the
benefits.  So it is desirable for us to examine who is benefited and how
much and at whose expense...."

Reconciliation of these two positions can only be made by distinguishing
between the creator and what the Statute of Queen Anne called copyright
"proprietors".  By contract, all rights of the creator under US copyright
can be transferred to proprietors who can, and increasingly do, exercise
monopoly power.  It is not the monopoly power of the creator that is the
problem.

Thus in spite of the words of the Founding Fathers, the spirit of American
copyright law remains rooted in the power of copyright proprietors, not
creators.  To realize the words, the spirit of the law must change.  The
Revolution must be completed as Frank Lloyd Wright wished.

Yours truly,

Harry Hillman Chartrand
h-chartrand () home com