Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Reefer Madness hits Congress; tech visa proposal

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 05:59:50 -0400

Someone seems to have forgotten the "Freedom of the Press" yet again.  I keep wondering why they elected Dianne
Feinstein. djf

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

[I have been spending time out here in SF working with our interns on
articles. It's been a lot of fun -- here are two of the pieces. Thanks to
everyone, BTW, who turned out for the politech/cpunx dinner last night.
Nearly 30 people showed up including some longtime politechnicals who are
new to the Bay Area area and involved in mysterious clandestine startups.
Hmm. Some of us went out afterward (at the suggestion of the EFF
contingent) to the Makeout Room, which contrary to its name is a perfectly
well-lit place on 22nd st. --Declan]

http://www.wired.com/news/news/politics/story/21152.html

                     Reefer Madness Hits Congress
                     by Debbi Gardiner and Declan McCullagh

                     12:15 p.m.  6.Aug.99.PDT
                     Hide that hookah. Chuck that chillum.
                     Congress is in session, and weed Web
                     sites are no longer safe.

                     A proposed bill that bans Internet
                     discussions of the use of unapproved
                     drugs and links to such sites has not just
                     normally mellow potheads but also
                     journalist groups in a huff.

                     [...]

http://www.wired.com/news/news/politics/story/21139.html

                     Congress Debates Tech Visas
                     by Lakshmi Chaudhry and Declan McCullagh

                     3:00 a.m.  6.Aug.99.PDT
                     If there's one thing David Smith doesn't
                     like, it's new foreign workers.

                     The top lobbyist for the AFL-CIO told
                     Congress on Thursday there's no need to
                     let additional workers into the country --
                     no matter what Silicon Valley firms say
                     about a worker shortage.

                     [...]