Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: IP: Agenda for MS Remedies Workshop

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 18:49:38 -0400

I agree with you Jamie did not raise that as a major point at this meeting

At 04:46 PM 4/30/99 -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
Dave:

Jamie Love has some good points about the EU/IBM settlement. However, he goes overboard in that he not only advocates
"open source" as a solution to the Microsoft problem but specifically espouses Richard Stallman's views: namely, that
intellectual property is at best a bad idea and at worst fundamentally evil.

To destroy software markets by making all software available for free -- or by taxing computer users to fund the
creation of free software that competes with honest programmers (a practice which Stallman and Love both advocate) --
is throwing the baby out with the bath water. It is inappropriate to deprive all software authors of their livelihoods
as the result of a single company's egregious business practices.

--Brett Glass