Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: TelCos and Change

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 09:03:05 -0400

From: jspira () basex co
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 23:33:16 -0400
Subject: IP: TelCos and Change

Dave, good evening

If the Telephone Companies don't seem to know what business they're in
sometimes, it's no surprise.  Witness the letter I've just received:

"Dear Jonathan Spira:

"We all know change is an inevitable part of life.  [OK.  They've got me
here.  It's true and predicated on this sentence, I'm set up for some major
life change, like an area code or something along those lines.]

"Sometimes it's easy.  Sometimes it's hard.  But it's always more desirable
when you get good value for your money.  [Now they've gotten my curiosity,
but I was still hard pressed to figure out what they were selling.]

"To that end, we're letting you know about an important change that is
about to take place to your Unlimited Regional Calling Plan.

"Beginning with your May 1999 bill, our monthly regional calling plan rate
will increase by $2.00."

The writer, Nancy Wolff Leary, the staff director of consumer calling
services, took the time to reassure me that my plan would still remain a
great value.

What might Ms Wolff Leary say if something truly significant were about to
happen?  Perhaps they might offer counseling (via a 900 number at $2 per
minute, no doubt).

Best.

/s/ Jonathan

Jonathan B Spira                    E-mail jspira () basex com
The Basex Group, Inc                URL http://www.basex.com
15 E 26th Street                    Tel +1 (212) 725-2600 x113
New York, NY 10010 USA              Facsimile +1 (212) 532-5406