Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: NSF CHIEF HAILS CYBERSPACE RESEARCH AS NEW "MANHATTAN PROJECT"

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 14:59:24 -0700

Referring to the recent recommendation of a presidential advisory commission
that the National Science Foundation be made lead agency in a $1 billion,
5-year research effort to solve hardware, software, and data transfer
issues, newly installed NSF director Rita Rossi Colwell says, "I think the
nation needs to make this investment. I see this in a way as the social
equivalent of the Manhattan Project... The NSFnet evolved into the Internet
and was spun out into industry; there's a tremendous amount of basic
research that's been done and is being done" to prepare the way for the
high-performance computational capabilities that will be required in the
decades ahead. (Washington Post 1 Sep 98)