Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: the assault has started....

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 11:20:52 -0400

Date: Mon, 4 May 1998
From a IPer

there was big piece this morning on NPR on this new
'infrastructure protection racket, er, group' in the FBI.

the chilling part was when the mouthpiece said, "we're convincing
more and more companies that ONLY THE GOVERNMENT CAN HELP protect
them because of our access to classified intelligence sources."

and of course, after they convince a lot of people of that, then
we'll get

        and if you don't do key-escrow, we won't be able
        to help you, and you already know we're the only
        ones who can help

this is incredibly insideous and has all the fingerprints of
having been planned by the psych-ops professionals (who are
very, very good)