Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on VP on libraries

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 15:59:47 -0500

From: jgill <jgill () penfield-gill com>

Tom,

I'd say the press has it about right. Another attempt by some form of
government, at any scale,  to tell us what we can and can not do.
Big brother knows best.

VP Gore is still wrong.  This is a parental thing.  Please get the
government out of my relationships with my children.  Parenting is
not for technocrats.  Its for parents.  And schools should not
replace, can not replace, the role of parents in education or
parenting.  So let's get the schools and libraries out of the
censorship business.

The government, at any level, has no business telling us what we may
read, say, or view.  To think otherwise is to believe in
technocracy.  See V. Postrel in the January WIRED.  A flawed article
in many ways, but right about keeping the nose of the technocratic
camel out our private tents.

So there you go.

I don't work there anymore, so I can call like I see 'em.  The EFF
has got this about right, as has the Libertarian party.

Regards,

Jock

PS: Dave feel free to post to IP if you  like.

--
Jock Gill
jgill () penfield-gill com

www.penfield-gill.com